Medical Device Coatings for Cardiology
Harland Medical provides medical device coatings for cardiology. Catheters, guidewires, introducers, and stents are UV coated for minimally invasive procedures.
Cardiology is the clinical area that concerns itself with diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the heart. The field includes the treatment of coronary artery disease, heart failure, valvular heart disease and electrophysiology.
Our customers in the field of Cardiology treat a wide variety of conditions including,
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Congenital heart disease
- Heart failure
- Valvular heart disease
Cardiologists employ a wide range of medical devices which can benefit from Harland technologies including
- Balloon catheters
- Diagnostic catheters
- Coronary guidewires
- Stent delivery catheters
- Guide catheters
- Electrophysiology mapping and ablation catheters
- Heart pumps
- Implantable electronic devices
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy devices
- Valve repair and replacement introducers
- Distal protection catheters
- Access products
A growing need
As minimally invasive procedures become the preferred treatment in so many areas of cardiology, surface performance has become ever more important. These catheter delivered procedures are being employed in smaller and smaller anatomies. In addition the devices being employed are growing more complex and often larger in size. As a consequence of both of these trends, reduced friction between the device or catheter surface and tissue has become essential for a successful treatment.
Infection associated with the implant of a device can have serious consequences. And subsequent systemic treatment of infection requires the use of larger doses of antibiotics. Harland’s drug eluting coating can provide localized antimicrobial drug delivery in the area immediately around the implanted device, where it can be most effective at reducing infection.
Harland satisfies these needs with up to date technologies.
- Harland’s Lubricent® family of hydrophilic coatings provides exceptional friction reduction along with state-of-the-art durability and low particle generation.
- Bacticent® antimicrobial coatings provide flexible delivery of proven infection fighting drugs, delivered to where an infection is most likely to occur.
Automated Coaters and Test Systems
Harland offers six families of automated coaters which can apply nearly every coating technology in commercial use today. Systems are available to coat as few as one part at a time up to large-scale systems designed to coat tens of millions of parts a year.